- this website is managed by: Thor May
- the topics list on this website currently supports Adelaide Question Everything! Meetup (https://www.meetup.com/Adelaide-Question-Everything-Meetup/)
- discussion topics blog (list of topics): http://discussiontopics.thormay.net/
- topic suggestions: email@example.com
- index of topics already discussed: http://thormay.net/unwiseideas/DiscussionTopics/DiscussionIndex.htm
- the next topic scheduled for discussion: http://thormay.net/unwiseideas/DiscussionTopics/DiscussionIndex.htm
- reading list (when offered) for the next discussion topic: http://thormay.net/unwiseideas/DiscussionTopics/DiscussionIndex.htm
1. This is a REAL NAMES blog. If you want to comment or make suggestions, we need to know who you are. Yes, there are pluses and minuses to that idea, but on balance it seems the best way to keep things civil and productive (flames will not be published). Besides, we admire people who have the open courage of their convictions, without being aggressive about it. You agree to assume responsibility for your comments under the jurisdiction of the law of Australia.
2. You will need to register through Captcha security before you comment. Note — To see comments, or to make comments on a topic, click that topic link. Comments automatically come to me for review before they are posted.
3. This blog exists as a convenience which has gone through multiple iterations of meetups and laocations. Its origin was a meetup which still occurs bi-weekly in Brisbane, Australia, called Gentle Thinkers (http://www.meetup.com/Gentle-Thinkers/ ). The Gentle Thinkers Brisbane meetup is now not associated with this topic list, but the old topics, up to number 79, have been retained for reference. The Gentle Thinkers connection was followed by a new meetup, Brisbane Active Thinkers. The Brisbane chapter of Active Thinkers was closed when I transferred to Adelaide, but the topics discussed are retained here. Adelaide Active Thinkers followed the format of the Brisbane model, but I closed it after a year, becoming dissatisfied with the level of participation. However, those Adelaide topics are also retained here. These three previous meetups have now been succeeded in Adelaide by a new meetup, Question Everything! The format of Question Everything! differs somewhat from the earlier attempts. Those participating are required to send in their own discussion topic before they come to a meetup. This is more demanding, and the numbers are likely to be smaller, but it is hoped that the real level of commitment and preparation will be higher.
Everyone with a working brain is welcome to Question Everything! Bring your ideas, but try to bring some other information on each topic too. We don’t mind energetic debate, love irony, and try to keep a fine sense of the ridiculous without surrendering to cynicism. We’ll listen carefully, and respect your disagreement. We like attempts at solutions much better than vague complaints beginning with “should”
5. The discussion topics on the main page are mainly suggestions for live meetup conversations. Those which have already been discussed in a meetup are marked as such in the topic header.
6. Apart from the live meetups, you are welcome to take part in an online discussion. We most value comments which add information for others, or provide links to such information. We don’t mind opinions if they are reasoned opinions. That is, try to explain why you have a point of view rather than just state a bald prejudice. Try to see two sides to issues. Above all, spend a little time trying to find out something about the subject before commenting. (This is a good habit for both live meetups and online comment).
7. This blog has been constructed independently by Thor May, and Thor oversees whatever is posted here. However, you remain legally responsible for whatever you post.